• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Why shouldn't I get the swine flu vaccine?

ranunky

Bluelighter
Getting swine flu is a real possibility. There is also a slim possibility I could die from it if I do get it.

What are the risks in getting the vaccine and how do they stack up against the risk of getting swine flu and possibly dying?

I'm a healthy 20 year old male.

You should get it. The side effect profile of the vaccine is identical to that of the seasonal flu vaccine. There is a small chance of soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given, low grade fever, or aches from the vaccine. I have personally never experienced any side effects.

A healthy twenty year old doesnt have much more chance of dying from swine flu than regular seasonal flu. Im also around your age and im getting it because im in a health profession... but otherwise i probably wouldnt bother. Its most beneficial for those people in high risk categories

Because getting really sick builds character. You won't die.

It's frustrating that people have the mindset of "you wont die LOL so don't bother". You're probably not going to die from swine flu. But why the fuck would you want to get the flu to begin with? I won't speak for everyone (especially not on Bluelight), but I have actually shit to do, and can't really afford to stay home incapacitated for a week.

I find it somewhat distasteful that someone in the healthcare profession is encouraging people not to get vaccinated. There's something called herd immunity. If you get the vaccine, you prevent not only yourself from getting sick, but other (possibly more vulnerable) individuals from getting sick.

Its most beneficial for those people in high risk categories

...which would be young adults.

'swine flu' disproportionately kills obese people, but skinny folks can also die from it. it also seems to kill the really young and really old easily, but that is to be expected

you shouldnt get the vaccine because its really the government trying to do mind control and also they're secretly tagging everyone with RFID tags, like cattle.... oh wait, this isnt CE&P, the absurdity of that joke wont be nearly as funny here ;)

there really isnt any legitimate reason to not get the vaccine.

check this out http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

scroll down to the daily fatal, it's more or less hovering around nill for a while now. this trend, coupled with the fact that swine flu has entirely pushed seasonal flu out of the running (no source but i read it a few days ago) seems to indicate that swine flu is taking over as the seasonal vaccine and may even end up more harmless than the regular flu which is really odd imo but a good thing nevertheless.

so the thing is... you probably won't die if you get swine flu. being vaccinated may be a guarantee against dying from swine flu but there's no guarantee that you won't be the next one-in-a-million person who dies from complications because there's some genetic incompatibility. i don't think enough people have been vaccinated yet to tell, and even years down the line there's always a slight slight chance that it sets off a latent reaction

In australia they're still testing to decide whether it is safe for people under 18 to get vaccinated. This shit dosn't sound 100% safe to me, i'd rather stay healthy and take my chances with my own immune system.

This stuff is all new and probably money oriented, flu or swine flu. I haven't had the flu in years, like 5 or so years. My immune system is already overactive. I'm scared that it will bring me no benefits but problems so I choose not to get it. It's a personal choice.

Do u really want to put in ur body something put together this year?

A study in Canada found out that getting the seasonal flu shot increased ur chance of getting the swine flu. So who knows what getting the swine flu vaccine will mean years from now. I don't want to be the guinea pig that makes up the future statistic. 70% of doctors don't get the flu vaccine. Why? They are the health professionals that should set the example. All other health care workers get it.

A study in Canada found out that getting the seasonal flu shot increased ur chance of getting the swine flu.

That study isn't Canadian, its also unpublished, and has yet to be replicated. If we are referring to the same article/study.

Get vaccine: die from complicationes , gets the h1n1 , die from complications. lose lose.

I wouldnt bother with the Swine flu vaccine, unless you absolutely cannot afford to get sick and take a week off school or work. That is the real danger. Not working for a week and losing your apartment if you live paycheck to paycheck, or messing up a school semester during midterms. Death is not a realistic threat to most people.

Here is the thing about swine flu though.....a small number of people have a severe auto-immune reaction to it. However, the people who have that reaction to the virus might also have that reaction to the vaccine, especially the nasal mist vaccine, but a little milder (still potentially life threatening). So if you happen to be one of those unlucky people, its a choice between definitely getting exposed or possibly getting exposed and it being worse.

Usually only infants or the elderly or the immune compromised will die from the flu, and young healthy adults have little to worry about....however, if you are one of these rare allergic individuals, you can be at risk from the virus OR from the vaccine even if you are in your prime and you will have to go to the hospital to treat symptoms of shock.

We have already seen this reaction in the H1N1 nasal mist, and we may also see it in the dead injected virus, or perhaps some more cases of Guillian barr syndrome.

In australia they're still testing to decide whether it is safe for people under 18 to get vaccinated. This shit dosn't sound 100% safe to me, i'd rather stay healthy and take my chances with my own immune system.

No vaccine is 100% safe.

getting sick is really inconvenient I see no reason not I had to get mine last week didn't suffer any bad sides other than a sore shoulder. now you want a really shitty vaccine the smallpox shot would be it such a pain in the ass to take care of leaves a big nasty scar and if you touch it it spreads god that thing was bothersome.

We had a girl in her 20's die in the ICU last night, the risk of death is very real even if you're in good health.

I find it either hilarious or deeply sad (perhaps both) that most Bluelighters will put nearly any substance (pharm, street drug, RC, whatever) into their bodies to get a buzz but refuse to get a vaccine because they think it's not "100% safe". The risk of dying from complications of the vaccine is much less than the risk of dying from complications from the flu. In fact, it's much less than dying from complications of taking a fucking shower.

The risk of death from swine flu is real (especially for HEALTHY YOUNG ADULTS), but slim. It's been said a million times, but people still don't seem to understand the concept: you shouldn't get the vaccine because you're afraid of death, you should get it to prevent yourself from getting violently sick and to prevent others around you from getting sick.

This is doubly true if you attend university. No matter how strong your immune system is, you will probably get the flu this year if you're a college student. You will spread it to your friends and your family like an asshole because you think that everything is a government conspiracy. You will miss classes and your grades will suffer.